I’m thrilled to report that, at last, the proof copy of Moon Over Donamorgh looks the way it should. I’ve ordered a print copy so I can see it with my own real eyes and feel it in my hands. Assuming all is well with the proof, you should see Donamorgh on online shelves within a week!
I solved the problem by using the “Start section break on next odd (or even) page.” That solution was staring at me the whole time, but I never thought to use it. It’s called “being in a rut.” We get so used to doing things a certain way (in this case, using section break to start on the next page), that we don’t even see the obvious.
Mind you, there is still NO REASON why Word should be placing extra blank pages in the document when it gets saved to .pdf. But since that’s what it was doing, I needed a way to work around it. Remember, this never happened with my first two books. It’s completely random.
Anyway! It’s done, and the book can be published. I hope you all ooh and aah over the professional-looking front matter, remembering what I went through to get it that way :).