It’s been a while since given an update on the progress of Bridgebuilders. You know what I’m going to say, right?
“No progress has been made.”
Fooled you! I have been working on it. It’s spread out over my dining room table at the moment, as I try to put some shape to it. I’ve made a change in one subplot that requires a rewrite of one chapter. I’m in the middle of that now. The change gives me a good sense of how the conflict should proceed. In addition, I’m getting better idea of how the pieces of this book can fit together, and how the characters relate to each other.
This is nitty-gritty writing, but I think every book gets to this point eventually. This one is in dire need of it, given that I started with two separate ideas and brought them together into one book.
Don’t shake your heads. It can work. I sure hope it does.
I can’t tell you I added to the word count, which is a little discouraging. Especially since I hear from more and more readers that they loved Shipbuilder and definitely plan on reading Bridgebuilders. I don’t want to let them down.
In the meantime, of course, there are holidays to contend with. Our tree is up and I’ve put out all the decorations I’m going to, other than making a wreath for the front door. Yep, I’m going to tackle making my own wreath, using leaves from our redwood trees and other plants in our yard. That should be fun.
In the further meantime, I’m learning to live with the chronic pain of neuropathy. Pills have reduced the pain at night, and are helping me sleep, which is marvelous. For the rest – well. It only hurts a lot when I walk or stand.
If I have to sit a lot, at least I’ve got writing to do.